1. Samsung’s take on a smart digital cockpit
Samsung (note: not a car manufacturer) showed off their 49-inch QLED display with 5G connectivity. Harnessing their screen production prowess alongside mobile connectivity from their smartphone lines, it makes more sense than at first glance. From the company that was first to put a screen on a fridge, we’re interested to see their vision on what drivers and passengers would find useful. Watch the video for a glimpse into Samsung’s vision with smart vehicles.
2. LIDAR on a chip
LIDAR (light/laser based distance measuring) is considered the gold standard against slower (but much cheaper) camera based sensors for cars, which are critical to advanced driving assistance systems, and may be the missing key to enable full self driving cars in the future. Mobileye is the leader in embedded sensors and chips for ADAS now, so if they are able to bring LIDAR on a chip, it will lower the cost of entry and certainly expand the availability to advanced systems much wider than they are available today. Read the full article.
No production vehicles use LIDAR currently, all are using a mixture of cameras and shorter ranged radar systems.
3. Smart glass roof
Initially launching on the Cadillac Celestiq, their EV flagship vehicle, it allows you to dynamically change the dimming of individual sections of the glass roof.
Now, can this be done on other windows? For example, we’d love to see this on the windshield to prevent glare from other oncoming headlights dynamically and in real-time.
4. How about an electric, flying car
The tech is called eVTOL – fully electric and requires “no roads.” Is this the flying cars of the near-future? GM, by way of their Cadillac brand, appears to think so.
What’s your favorite piece of new car tech from CES 2021? Let us know in the comments!
- 2022 Honda Civic (Redesign)The 2022 Honda Civic, shown in Touring trim, has been revealed in it’s production format. What do you think? Too conservative? Comment below and let us know what you…
- Mercedes EQS Full Reveal (Photos)
- 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Digital Dash + Display (Photos)
- Hyundai Staria (Photos) (Euro)The Hyndai Staria Van is an replacement for the Hyundai Starex, which is only available in the EU and Asian markets. More details are coming soon, which may include…
- Canoo announces electric truck to launch in 2023An all-new electric vehicle startup company called Canoo has revealed the initial images of it’s future truck, to be released in 2023. “This is like no truck you’ve ever…
New Car Tech Delivered Weekly...
Get all the latest in New Car Tech via email. Once a week.